Ipswich to Hong Kong
Flying over Iraq: possibly Najaf
Out of all the London airports, Gatwick Airport is the most annoying airport to get to from East Anglia. I'd have much preferred going from Norwich or literally any of the other London ones, but leaving from Gatwick was considerably cheaper and my Ipswich - Gatwick Airport rail ticket was £11.90 - a similar price to the Ipswich - Stansted coach. At least Gatwick is an airport where one can turn up 1¾ hours before the scheduled flight departure for a long-haul flight without getting nervous.
LGW - DOH: BA2033, 1405-2350
There was a time - not that long ago - when I quite liked flying with British Airways. Long-haul economy class isn't that different between most airlines, but for a long time they'd even offer Worcestershire sauce with their tomato juice and had a doing-things-properly kind of vibe. Alas, not any more. The in-flight entertainment was quite good, with a strong British focus and I could even listen to BBC Proms on the way to Doha, but the overall experience was just disappointing compared to what I was used to pre-pandemic. They don't even provide eyeshades on request any more - understandable, but still a shame. That said, my choice of airline wherever I go depends entirely on price, and eyeshades from Poundland and a Bloody Mary from a pub are certainly much cheaper than the difference in price between this and the other airlines.
Doha Airport is enormous and quite impressive, built with Qatar's oil money and slave labour. I have precisely zero interest in luxury shops and there was no point in going into the city when everything's closed overnight, so the 8 hour overnight flight transfer was tedious - but at least I slept a few hours here and on the preceding flight. It did make a world of difference in reducing the jet lag to almost nothing, and after sunrise the tropical garden was very pleasant too - it's very much a novelty, but it does make for a much nicer overall experience.
DOH - HKG: QR816, 0855-2130
My conclusions from my first ever QR flight were that the economy class experience was better than that of the previous BA flight - slightly better airline food, proper metal cutlery, small amenity kit - but nothing that I'd really pay extra for. It's just another long-haul economy flight, and all the airlines tend to be much of a muchness. It was interesting that the in-flight entertainment included Qur'an recitations and Islamic sermons, but that's not such a surprise given that it's Qatar. At least they still had a bar service, permitted in the air but absolutely haram in Qatar itself.
QR breakfast: omelette and hash brown
QR beef dinner, with G+T
Hong Kong Airport bus station
I took the bus to Kowloon for my hostel as it was quite a bit cheaper than the airport train, and arrived at the hostel exhausted but at the correct local bedtime - going to sleep exactly then, and setting an alarm for local-time wake-up: that's the secret to west-to-east jet-lag.
Part of my 2023 Oriental overland adventure:
- Introduction: Hong Kong to Tokyo overland
- ππ° Ipswich to Hong Kong
- π¨π³ China by high speed rail: Hong Kong - Wuhan - Beijing - Qingdao - Weihai
- π¨π³ Weihai - π°π· Incheon ferry
- π°π· South Korea by TGV
- π°π· Busan - π―π΅ Shimonoseki ferry
- π―π΅ Japan by Rail Pass
- πΆπ¦ Qatari interlude and conclusion
Comments
Post a Comment